[Animal] [Animal] Playful Gnarlers (Updated 8-11-12)

An organized, ideally complete bank of released Garden Box agents. Find some new life to add to your world, or submit your own! Be sure to read the guidelines before submitting.

[Animal] [Animal] [Animal] Playful Gnarlers (Updated 8-11-12)

Postby Amaikokonut » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:26 pm

I love gnarlers. Maybe I'm just strange, but I find them to be some of the most adorable critters in C3. So I set out to make them even more charming.

Changes from standard C3 gnarlers:
- These have been reclassified as beasts, and are pushable, pullable, and hitable by creatures, but not pickupable or edible.
- They will lick any toy for nutrients, not just rocks.
- They handle climbing up slopes a lot better (though this occasionally results in particularly frustrated gnarlers doing a high-speed charge into the wall and bouncing off of it). This was something that was pretty much required for them to function in rooms like the bottom floor of the DS meso.
- Young gnarlers will stick close to adults, if there are any around. It's really cute. They actually gain some nutrition from this practice, too, so young gnarlers with adults around are very unlikely to starve.
- Young gnarlers stay young a lot longer. Ten to twenty times longer, to be exact.
- Adults now lay eggs in clutches of three to six, rather than one at a time.
- Adult gnarlers will actually wander in the direction of a toy when they are starving, rather than wander aimlessly.
- Adult gnarlers are perfectly docile when they are raising children, but when there are only adults around, and they start to feel crowded, they get territorial and start fighting to the death! Don't worry though-- this is a natural part of their life-cycle, and will thin out the population just enough that the gnarlers will have enough room to start the next generation.
- If you are successful in raising many, many generations of gnarlers, keep an eye out for rare golden gnarlers! The higher the generation, the greater chance of a gold hatchling.

Things to note:

- Like their C3 counterparts, these gnarlers have a fear of water CA, meaning if they smell water, they'll avoid going near it. This means in certain places there is a point in the room that they simply will not walk into. However, this won't stop them from nudging all their toys-- their food sources, into the water-scented area and out of their reach, causing them to starve. In rooms like this it might be a good idea to have some toys around that creatures (and thus, gnarlers) can't pick up, such as the cuddly tree.
- Baby gnarlers are more susceptible to starvation than adults, since they have a greater tendency to wander aimlessly rather than in the direction of food. In later generations, when there are adults present to guide them, they will have a great advantage, but you might want to keep a close eye on your first generation of gnarlers to ensure that they're doing alright.
- Like the C3 gnarlers, these gnarlers are asexual, so all it takes is one well-loved gnarler to start a population.

These are probably my favorite critters to date, so feedback, bug reports, comments, questions, suggestions, etc., are all very welcome!

Updates:
08-08-12: changed eggs to stop hatching when there were tons of adults around as a population control measure.
08-11-12: Fixed the stuck walking-forever problem, and added vampess's poo fix (Thanks malkin)

Known bugs:
Code: Select all
Base change failed - new base 76 on part 0
 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] else {@}base 76 anim [0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...
Happens occasionally in really high population worlds, seemingly to dying gnarlers during the whole gruesome battle thing... if anyone can find more specific details on this I'd appreciate it!
Attachments
GB_Gnarler_AMK.agent
(679.42 KiB) Downloaded 2181 times
Amaikokonut
Site Admin

Re: Playful Gnarlers

Postby malkin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:29 am

Something I noticed, looking at the video - does this have Vampess's 'grazer poo fix' from the NWFP included?
malkin

Postby Amaikokonut » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

It doesn't-- what exactly needed to be fixed? I can incorporate it into the next version if it's a resource issue or something.
Amaikokonut
Site Admin

Postby malkin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:50 pm

It mainly made sure that the dung dropped properly, and would eventually vanish, rather than getting... er... stuck. :x Vampess says that it's not as bad as the bramboo script for slowing down a world, but that it eventually does.

The chief differences seem to be that

new: simp 2 10 6 "graz" 2 va02 1999
attr 192

becomes
new: simp 2 10 6 "graz" 2 va02 1999
            doif va02 = 216
               attr 208
            else
               attr 195
               bhvr 16
               puhl -1 6 1
            endi

and adding a tick of 400 to the dung on creation.
malkin

Postby Amaikokonut » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Noted, thanks! :> I'll include the fix with the next upload as soon I can figure out what to do about the infinite walking problem (which I swear was not happening while I was testing earlier :cry:)
Amaikokonut
Site Admin

Re: Playful Gnarlers (Updated 8-11-12)

Postby Grendel Man » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:58 am

About that Gnarler bug: I had it happen when a norn pushed a gnarler while it was trying to eat a toy. I was just coming in here to report it and just noticed that you already had it recorded.
Grendel Man

Postby Amaikokonut » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:57 am

Huh, that's an interesting note, but considering the line in the known error is from the death script, you might have seen a different error (or the same error happening to an off-screen gnarler). Let me know if it happens again under that specific circumstance and post the message, if possible. Thanks <:
Amaikokonut
Site Admin

Postby Grendel Man » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 pm

More stuff about the gnarler bug: I noticed that, after the territorial disputes are over with, some of the dead gnarlers were in the "sleeping" pose as opposed to the "death" pose. I suspect that may have something to do with the error.

Also, I found another error, though this one's probably minor - I wasn't looking at the game when the error was thrown, but judging by what sort of error it is, I'm guessing it has something to do with either the egg-laying routine or the growing-up routine.
Grendel Man

Postby Grendel Man » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Apologies about the double post, but I found yet another bug.

In this case, I was keeping the Playful Gnarlers in the Ettin Terrarium, where they feed on the rocks. Since the rocks are destructible, I imagine this is what happens when two gnarlers go for the same rock, and one of them winds up destroying it.
Grendel Man

Postby Amaikokonut » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Hmmm, you're probably right; I have try to have a look at that. If it's just a matter of them both going after the same rock, it's probably an easy fix <: Thanks for the report.
Amaikokonut
Site Admin

Return to Agents Collective